California Can Expect Blackouts For A Decade, Says PG&E CEO

A car drives through a darkened Montclair Village in Oakland, Calif., after Pacific Gas & Electric shut down power last week to prevent wildfires.
Noah Berger/AP
hide caption
toggle caption
Noah Berger/AP
The CEO of Pacific Gas & Electric Corp. told California energy regulators that the state will likely see blackouts for another 10 years like the one imposed last week that left as many as 800,000 customers without power.
The revelation by corporation CEO Bill Johnson came Friday at a California Public Utilities Commission meeting at which he said his company is trying to reduce the chances of wildfires by trimming more trees and using technology to target smaller areas of the grid when fire dangers require power outages.
But Johnson said it could take 10 years before such outages are “really ratcheted down significantly.”
PG&E has come near universal criticism for its lack of planning in shutting off power and its failure to adequately handle customers’ questions while the outages lasted. PUC president Marybel Batjer blasted utility officials saying, “what we saw play out by PG&E last week cannot be repeated.”
During the blackouts, Johnson admitted that his company had not been prepared for the impact of the outages, including the crashing of the utility’s website and call centers being overwhelmed with customers’ concerns.
But Johnson still maintains that the outages, which the company calls Public Safety Power Shutoff events, were necessary to insure safety in the face of seasonally high winds that can damage power lines and lead to wildfires.
“We recognize the hardship that the recent PSPS event caused for millions of people and want to continue working with all key shareholders to lessen this burden going forward,” Johnson wrote in a letter to the PUC prior to the hearing. “At the same time, we ask our customers, their families, and our local and state leaders to keep in mind that statistic that matters most: there were no catastrophic wildfires.”
The utility estimates that each customer household represents about three people, so that the power outages left roughly 2 million people in the dark.
In the hearing, Johnson tried to separate PG&E’s rationale for the power outages from the company’s execution.
“Making the right decision on safety is not the same as executing that decision well,” Johnson said. “PG&E has to be better prepared than it was this time.”
Last week California Gov. Gavin Newsom said the utility’s management of the outages “was unacceptable.” He called PG&E to issue rebates of $100 for residential customers and $250 credits to small businesses affected by the outages.
Johnson said PG&E is studying the request, but is concerned about setting a precedent.
Opioid Case With 2 Ohio Counties As Plaintiffs Set To Go To Trial Next Week
The first federal case against the opioid industry goes to trial Monday. Some companies have settled to avoid trial, others will get their day in court.
AILSA CHANG, HOST:
Local governments across the country want the drug industry to pay for the damage from the opioid crisis. Thousands of counties, cities, Native American tribes and other parties have sued manufacturers, distributors and pharmacies. Opening arguments are scheduled to begin next Monday in the first set of claims to go to trial. Two Ohio counties will serve as plaintiffs. And all the while, attorneys continue to negotiate possible settlements. From member station WCPN, Nick Castele reports.
NICK CASTELE, BYLINE: Eric Stimac’s path to addiction began with a work injury. Several years ago, he says, he was working a side job on a day off.
ERIC STIMAC: It was some stage flooring. We were unloading off of the back of a box truck. And it fell off of the lift gate and then landed on my foot and crushed my foot.
CASTELE: Stimac was prescribed opioid painkillers, he says, and grew addicted. After a close friend died of a heroin overdose, Stimac describes reacting in a way that may seem surprising.
STIMAC: My first thought was, well, if, you know, if this was something that they were willing to give their life over, what’s the deal with it, you know? So that’s when I tried heroin for the first time.
CASTELE: After an arrest, Stimac sought treatment at IBH Addiction Recovery Center, where we talked on a porch overlooking the campus. It’s a residential facility in Summit County, Ohio, one of the two plaintiffs in the upcoming trial. Stimac is now part of a post-treatment volunteer program that he says has given meaning to his life.
Many people have gone down the same road, beginning with prescription pills before moving to street drugs, such as heroin or fentanyl. That’s why counties say drug companies are responsible for lighting the fuse of an addiction crisis that exploded and strained local services.
JONATHAN WYLLY: An average episode here is going to cost between $15-20,000.
CASTELE: Jonathan Wylly is the executive director of IBH. Treatment centers like this one often bill Medicaid for those costs, he says, and also receive funding from county addiction and mental health boards. Wylly says no amount of money can truly match the damage that people have suffered here.
WYLLY: There’s no number they can come up with that’s going to meet at the societal cost of what the opiate epidemic has meant to this state.
CASTELE: There’s the cost to medical examiners for toxicology reports after overdose deaths, to the foster system to care for children who have lost parents, to local jails and courts that handle drug cases. An expert witness for the plaintiffs says damages in these two Ohio counties could run higher than $200 million. The counties have accused drug companies of marketing painkillers aggressively while underplaying the risk of addiction and of failing to control suspicious orders of pills.
ANDREW POLLIS: This case, the facts of the case are just incredibly strong. They’re devastating.
CASTELE: Andrew Pollis is a law professor at Case Western Reserve University.
POLLIS: They demonstrate, really, a profit-driven desire to exploit the fact that opioids are inherently physically addictive.
CASTELE: Companies didn’t make representatives available for interviews. But in court filings, they’ve said counties can’t pin the crisis on the industry. They say they plan to argue that they complied with a changing set of federal rules and that they can’t be blamed for the damage of illegal drugs. Abbe Gluck is faculty director of the Solomon Center for Health Law and Policy at Yale Law School.
ABBE GLUCK: I would predict that we’re going to see a lot of attention to this question of causation. Can we really say that all of these different defendants caused the harm that they’re being sued for causing?
CASTELE: She says defendants may point out there are many decision-makers in the drug supply chain, including the FDA, doctors and patients.
GLUCK: And what the defendants have been saying all along is that it’s impossible to trace any one of their actions to any one overdose or any one addiction problem.
CASTELE: Manufacturers have largely settled with the two Ohio counties, allowing them to avoid trial. And settlement negotiations have gone down to the wire with opioid distributors. Those possible nationwide agreements could be worth billions of dollars.
For NPR News, I’m Nick Castele in Cleveland.
(SOUNDBITE OF WIDOWSPEAK SONG, “NARROWS”)
Copyright © 2019 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.